Every Holiday season, Habitat for Humanity of Ventura County is honored to be a part of numerous Alternative Christmas Fairs along with many deserving charities! If you are not familiar with the Alternative Christmas Fair concept, it is a wonderful way to ease holiday shopping stress, help raise funds for charities, and give a gift to those in need!
Many thanks to all church members, volunteers and shoppers who participated and gave so generously during the 2011 Holiday Season!
- Ascension Lutheran Church, Thousand Oaks: Through their Gifts of Hope program, Ascension Lutheran raised funds for the Burure Mission, World Hunger, and more than $7,000 for Habitat for Humanity of Ventura County.
- Church of the Foothills, Ventura: This year’s Christmas Fair was a great success. Donations were made to Church World Services, Habitat for Humanity of Ventura County, Schools for Sierra Leone, Mixtic Group, Homeless Prevention Fund, Heifer International, Kasiisi Project, Chimpanzee Sanctuary & Wildlife Conservation Trust, and Goats for Life.
- Emmanuel Presbyterian Church, Thousand Oaks: The season of giving came early when Emmanuel Presbyterian opens its doors to local charities at its Community Mission Event. Participating charities included Manna Food Bank, Joni & Friends, the Ventura Rescue Mission, Habitat for Humanity of Ventura County, Grandmothers of the Light and Emmanuel Prison Ministry. The Christmas Market also partnered with Madroña Elementary School to encourage students to support the charities by donating food, clothing, shoes, books, wheelchairs, canes, walkers and travel toiletries to help those in need.
- First Presbyterian Church, Oxnard. The 8th Annual Community Christmas Shoppe brought together volunteers from over 40 area churches to serve more than 1,000 local low income families, providing toys for Christmas and opportunities to make donations to charities in honor of loved ones. Charities included Heifer Project International, Habitat for Humanity of Ventura County, Ventura County FOOD Share, Bread of Life, and Oxnard Women’s Emergency Shelter.
- First United Methodist Church, Ventura. The Alternative Christmas Faire provided churchgoers a wonderful opportunity to learn more about local, national, and international organizations and donate to local charitable organizations as a gift to a loved one. Participating charities included Project Understanding, Habitat for Humanity of Ventura County, CROP Hunger Walk, FOOD Share, Family to Family, Good Sam Cupboard, Narcotics Anonymous, Boy Scouts Troop 102.
- King of Glory Lutheran Church, Newbury Park: Many elves helped at the Alternative Christmas Market after church serves and preschool Christmas programs. Many Christmas cards were given to friends and loved ones from donations to participating charities…Habitat for Humanity of Ventura County, Heifer Project International, and Fair Trade micro businesses in third world countries.